Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Weekend

My weekend started with me riding high on the immediate success of my new blog.  I was getting great feedback and was even trying to squeeze in activity so I would have writing content.  My high latest about 5 minutes.  Maybe it was the never ending torrential downpours and hurricane worthy wind gusts, or maybe it was that Nolan was stuffy, congested, and not feeling or sleeping well but all of my new found energy was no was nowhere to be found.  Instead I was surrounded by a clean laundry mountain that rivaled Mt. McKinley, a dirty laundry mountain that rivaled Mt. Everest, and tons of other endless, thankless chores that needed my attention.  The shower needed scrubbed, the little box cleaned, the fridge cleaned out and on and on and on.  Needless to say I was entirely overwhelmed and under motivated.  When I get this overwhelmed, a sense of hysteria tends to set in;  I develop what my husband likes to call "The Crazies" and I spend all my time freaking out about everything that needs done and end up doing nothing. 

I really didn't want this to happen so I made a choice.  I really needed to deal with the state of affairs at home even if that meant forgoing exercise.  So Saturday was spent putting the house back together, going to the grocery store, and prepping food for Easter.  I ran around frantically folding this and disinfecting that, so frantically that I am almost positive it counted as exercise.  Okay maybe not but a girl can dream.  At the end of the day I could see a major dent in the madness that was my house but after all I did it was just that...a dent.  I tried to convince myself that it wasn't the end of the world; however, I needed extra convincing so I had a little conversation with Jack Daniels.  Mr. Daniels reassured me that my evening would be better spent cuddling with my husband and son and that the madness would still be there tomorrow.  Of course he was right so I resigned to the couch with my guys and my cocktail.

Sure enough when I awoke Sunday morning the laundry and clutter was still there.  The Easter bunny didn't do me any favors.  In fact, when I began my day puttering around my house while drinking my morning coffee, I found new mess.  The cat left me a present, three presents actually.  She threw up.  Twice on the carpet and once on the linoleum.  Maleficent (the cat) must have felt I needed more on my plate that day and as hard as I tried to keep them at bay, I was attacked by "The Crazies".  The rest of the morning was a whirlwind of hysteria, anger, and depression as I rushed to get my husband,  Nolan, and myself ready to go to my aunt and uncle's for Easter dinner.  I loaded the car up with lasagna Bolognese, beer, a Bumbo, a Boppy, a Baby Einstein playmat, and a baby and away we went.  I was just starting to calm down as we drove to our destination knowing that my dad would "babysit" Nolan while I sipped a lovely glass of Syrah and visited with grown-ups.  My dad, who had been out of town the whole week prior, was eagerly waiting outside for his grandson as we pulled into the driveway.  I stepped out of the car ready to hug my dad and then load his arms up with our carfull of crap when I was interrupted by a very strong breeze.  I had my very own Marilyn Monroe moment; however, not nearly as sexy.  My dress flew up towards my head and my ass, clad in a thong, was hanging out for all to see.  Including my dad.

Thankfully the remainder of the day was much more enjoyable then all the weekend events leading up to it; it was filled with delicious food, good wine, great family and a lot of laughter.  I love how even after a weekend plagued with "The Crazies" a few hours with my amazing family can turn it all around.
*These pictures are not from Easter.  I'm just trying to give you an idea of how fun my family is.*

4 comments:

  1. Haley, I love your blog! You need to turn this into a book for all new momma's to read. I know it would be a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haley-I have the SAME problem. I call it my cleaning ADD, but seriously, it is like manic anxiety. One stupid easy little thing that helps me? I make a to do list and force myself to start at the top, complete each task fully, and start crossing them off. I never thought one little thing could help me so much! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelli~ Thanks sweetie, you are too kind!

    Kisha~ Thanks for the tip. I am certainly going to have to try the whole list thing; I think that might work. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley, this totally made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete